Somewhat belatedly, I went through the U.S. non-farm payroll employment for April 2017. It is simply amazing. Apart from the fact that it was a strong report in many dimensions, consider the following facts. Data comparison is between Dec. 2016 and April 2017 because that is how far back that the April 2017 Employment Situation Report goes.
- The median duration of unemployment is down to 10.2 weeks
- There is a remarkably sharp fall in the unemployment rates of those with High School Degrees and those who do not even have that. In contrast, those who have a Bachelor’s degree or some associate degree below Bachelor’s, their unemployment rate has barely budged, since December 2016. Clearly, there is a correlation/association between the Trump Presidency and the falling unemployment rate for the constituencies that voted for him!
- Between Dec.2016 and April 2017, White Labour Force is up by 300,000. Those not in the labour force has shrunk by nearly half a million.
- White male unemployment rate is down big time from 4.1% in December to 3.4% April 2017. Black men unemployment rate has declined while that of women has ticked up by 0.1% from 6.8% to 6.9%
- Asian unemployment rate has gone up from 2.6% in December to 3.2% in April 2017! Again, Trump Presidency is delivering jobs to those who voted for him!
- Number of full-time employment has jumped 1.739 million from Dec. 2016 to April 2017
- Number of part-time employed has declined from 27.9 million to 27.2 million
- Number of multiple job holders has gone up from 7.554 million to 7.683 million but it has registered a big drop from March 2017 level of 7.96 million.
Overall, something for him to shout about even if causality is hard to establish. It may not be there. But, it is a safe bet that had the indicators deteriorated, it would have been pinned on him by our dear media colleagues on either side of the Atlantic.